The Association was formed in the Spring of 1919 at a re-union of Old Boys returning from the First World War and the names of the sixty founder members are listed in the Grammar School magazine for that year. The inaugural President, headmaster, JI Scott, retained the position until 1943 when he was succeeded by CW Godfrey, who had joined the teaching staff in 1919. Staff involvement in the Association remained an important feature for many years with a number of luminaries from the school assuming the role of President.
During the Second World War many old boys serving in the armed forces kept in touch through a magazine published by the Association. Today, the maintaining of links between members remains something the organisation is keen to promote.
A comprehensive account of the Old Cyts' history compiled by Rex Moore, himself a tireless worker for the Association, can be found in 'Cytringanian Farewell' (published in 1995) and copies are available on request.